Monday 17 September 2007

Lamb Shawarma

In the area I'm living right now the places serving shawarma and falafel are few and far between. There's only one place I know of around here, and that has been frustrating for me while living here, so I've been seeking ways to remedy this problem. I've found that the shawarma is the easier of the two, so here goes one way to do it.

Admittedly, I don't set up a giant skewer with tons of meat and roast it rotisserie style, so I guess this isn't shawarma as such - but I do use "shawarma spice", a mixture the composition of which I'm not sure of either. Fortunately, it's not hard to get - I got the stuff I'm using now here.

Ingredients:
- 1 lb (500 g) lamb meat
- shawarma spice
- lettuce
- tomato
- pita breads
- tzatziki

Cut the lamb meat in small pieces, season with a generous amount of shawarma spice and fry in a pan. Serve in freshly warmed pita breads with cut lettuce, diced tomato and tzatziki. Delicious.

Update: For a shawarma spice mixture, see this later post.

No comments: