Monday 24 September 2007

Fried Liver

This is an old favourite of mine, I used to make more regularly than I have been lately, but I still like it a lot. Although I haven't made this all that often in the past five years I was a little surprised to realized that I couldn't actually remember exactly how I used to make it. But now, after I've eaten it, I think I did get it right after all.

Ingredients:
- 1 lb (0.5 kg) sliced liver[1]
- 7 oz (200 g) green beans
- 1 medium onion (as rings)
- 1 large tomato (diced coarsely)
- 1/2 red bell pepper
- 3 tbsp. sour cream
- 4-5 cloves garlic
- oil
- rosemary
- salt & pepper

In a large pan, heat the oil, crush the garlic into the oil and quickly add the slices of liver, seasoned with salt and pepper. Brown the liver on both sides, then move to the edge of the pan and add in the middle the rest of the ingredients, cover and let simmer for 15-20 minutes - the sour cream should by then have become a creamy sauce.

I suggest serving with rice, e.g. parboiled rice, although boiled potatoes would certainly add an extra touch of Danishness to the dish.

[1] I used beef liver this time, but I'm sure pork liver would work as well.

No comments: