Monday 8 October 2007

Caol Ila

As I came through Heathrow a few days into the new year I had time to go to the World of Whiskies store and let myself be tempted for a present to myself.

As I stood there contemplating my options I was approached by a salesperson who inquired as to whether I was looking for anything in particular. I replied that I was normally very fond of Islay single malts and that therefore I was interested in trying something new from that region.

Thus I was promptly made aware of their most expensive bottle from that region, a Port Ellen, and I was informed that it was "very good". Quite frankly I was insulted that this person thought I would settle for such a meaningless description of the taste, and so I decided to make up my own mind and disregard any further input from the staff.

I ended up settling on Caol Ila and I (as well as friends coming over for a taste) have been much pleased with that choice. Perhaps not as intensely peaty as, say Laphroaig, but lovely complex nonetheless. I found that it went well with the rich taste of Häagen-Dazs Belgian Chocolate. Now it is all gone, the picture above showing the last bit of it.

No comments: