Monday 15 October 2007

(Anne Grethe's) Coconut Cake

Here's another cake that bears obvious signs of coming right out of my mother's recipe collection. It's been ages since I even heard my mother mention Anne Grethe though, so I have no idea what she's up to.

Ingredients:
- 150 g (5 oz) shortening
- 260 g (9 oz) sugar
- 3 eggs
- 75 g (2.5 oz) flour
- 150 g (5 oz) coconut threads
- 3 tsp. vanilla sugar *
- 3 tbsp. cocoa podwer
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking powder

Melt the shortening, mix it well with the sugar, then mix in the eggs before adding the rest of the ingredients and mixing well. Then place the dough in a 10" x 17" (25 cm x 43 cm) baking pan that has been coated with first a thin layer of shortening and then a layer of flour (as I do here) - it should be spread out to an even, fairly thin (no more than 1/2" (1 cm)), layer. Then it takes about 18-20 minutes in an oven at 400 F (200 C).

* see here

No comments: