Saturday 2 February 2008

Greek Meatloaf

I remembered this as an old favorite from the dorm days - a quick way to easily make food for a large group of people (and a crowd pleaser too) - but as I got into making it I realized I must never have actually made it myself before.. the details of how to proceed were just too hazy for me. Luckily Mrs. Throat-Erator stepped up to show me how it was done.

Ingredients:
- 2.5 dL (1 cup) parboiled rice
- 4 dL (1 2/3 cup) water
- salt
- 500 g (1 lb) ground beef
- 500 g (1 lb) ground lamb
- 2 eggs
- 2 dL (4/5 cup) milk
- pepper
- 1 medium white onion
- 220 g (8 oz) feta cheese
- 1 bunch parsley
- 3 cloves garlic
- 50 g (half stick) butter

The rice was boiled in the water with added salt the day before.

In a bowl, the cold rice was mixed with the ground meats, eggs, milk, salt and pepper.

In a separate bowl, the medium-finely chopped onion, finely chopped parsley, diced feta cheese, diced butter, and mashed garlic was mixed.
A little less than half the meat was placed in an oven-proof tray as a flat layer, then the parsley and feta filling was placed on top. At last the rest of the meat was used to make a lid and the meat loaf was baked in the oven at 200 C (400 F) for 1 hour.

Served with baked potatoes and tzatziki.

No comments: