Thursday 14 February 2008

Satay

It wasn't till relatively recently that I tried peanut dipping sauce, a concept I hadn't even considered before it happened upon me. But I liked it, and my muse insisted it would be the perfect side for chicken satay: Chicken grilled on bamboo skewers.

Ingredients: Cucumber salad
- 2 cucumbers
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 3 tbsp vinegar
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- fresh cilantro
Peanut dipping sauce
- 130 g (4.5 oz) creamy peanut butter
- juice of 1/2 lime
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 serrano peppers [1]
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- 1 dL (1/2 cup) warm water
Satay
- bamboo skewers
- 1 chicken breast
- 1 onion
- 1 red bell pepper

The cucumber salad was prepared first by mixing the liquid ingredients and adding thick slices of peeled cucumber and coarsely chopped cilantro - this should stand while preparing the rest.

The warm water is key for being able to stir the peanut butter together with the rest of the ingredients - the serrano peppers were cut finely.

The chicken breast was cut in pieces and put on bamboo skewer together with chunks of red bell pepper and onion. Grilled under the broiler in my gas oven.

Served immediately with parboiled rice on the side.

[1] This actually resulted in a peanut sauce less spicy then I had in mind.

No comments: