Tuesday 2 March 2010

Chicken with Pearl Onions

Over the holidays I had occasion to do some shopping, and I happened to pick up a bag of nigella seeds. This is a spice I had been curious about for some time, and now I have a good amount to play with and try out some ideas. First, I tried it with chicken..

Ingredients:
- 900 g (2 lbs) chicken pieces
- salt
- pepper
- smoked paprika
- cayenne pepper
- ground coriander seeds
- nigella seeds
- 250 g (9 oz) red pearl onions
- 250 g (9 oz) white pearl onions
served with:
- quinoa, boiled
and:
- 360 g (13 oz) grilled red peppers
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- fresh coriander leaves

The chicken pieces were fried in a large, deep pan with all the spices, until well browned on all sides. The peeled pearl onions were added whole, the pan was covered and the heat was reduced to medium. Left while preparing the rest:

The quinoa was boiled in lightly salted water.

The grilled peppers and the coriander leaves were chopped coarsely and mixed with the lemon juice.

I was quite happy with the note the nigella seeds added to the chicken.

No comments: