Friday 5 December 2008

Tomato Gratin

This is a dish I grew up with, and I think one of the first I learned how to make when my parents starting teaching me how to cook. I used to think of it as one of those typical Danish dishes (i.e. belonging to the same category as frikadeller and flæskesteg) but later I learned that was a much less common dish throughout the rest of Denmark (judging by the number of people I've served it for who never had it before). I recently realized I hadn't made it in very long time and figured it was due.

Ingredients:
- 1.1 kg (2.5 lbs) minced beef/pork
- 3 dL (1.25 cups) flour
- 3 medium onions, diced
- 3 eggs
- salt & pepper
- 4 dL (1.7 cups) milk
- 9 tomatoes, quartered
- smoked bacon, thinly sliced

The minced meat was stirred with the rest of the ingredients except for the tomatoes and the bacon - basically this is the same procedure as for making frikadeller.

About half of the meat mixture was spread evenly in a large oven proof dish, then the tomato pieces were pushed well into it and covered with the rest of the meat. On top went a lid of thinly sliced smoked bacon and finally a little extra salt and pepper. It needed about an hour in the oven at 200 C (400 F).

Served with baked potatoes and a quick salad made from lettuce, cucumber and corn.

Leftovers can be eaten cold (e.g. on dark rye bread) or hot (e.g. as an ingredient in biksemad).

No comments: