Thursday 18 December 2008

Super Bock

There is actually a significant number of Portuguese people living in Geneva. I don't know if this is part of the reason why one can get both of the two major Portuguese beers here: Super Bock and Sagres. While both brands are sold here, it's a rather limited selection compared to the home market in Portugal were each brand put out a selection of different beers. On a trip to Lisbon last month I had occasion to try two of these.


The 'Stout Super Bock' was the better of the two, IMHO. The 'Green Super Bock' is notable for being only the 3rd lemon flavoured beer I've come across so far - the other two being the truly weird Tuborg Porter Citron, which was a mixture of Tuborg Porter and Tuborg lemon soda mixed and bottled as such (it was only on the market for about a year in the late 1990's) AND the much more successful Lemon Ale sold annually at the Goleta Valley Lemon Festival (made by the Hollister Brewing Company).

But I still haven't tasted a lemon beer that comes across as very convincing to me ... I'm thinking it could be done, but someone might have to think boldly to do it. I remember years ago, out of sheer curiosity, buying a six-pack of Buffalo Bill's Orange Blossom Cream Ale which I thought was really good - and then I was never able to find it again at a single store.

No comments: