Sunday 14 December 2008

French Beer - Part II (Bière Georges)


Not forgetting my positive attitude towards a specific French beer, my previous post on the subject did betray my prejudice against French beer in general. In all fairness I should add that on that same trip to Lyon my horizons were broadened a bit.

For lunch one day we went to Brasserie Georges as it had been recommended by our friendly hotel staff. Until this day I had always figured that the French word 'brasserie' was most appropriately translated into 'restaurant' (which is certainly how it is sometimes used), but as I found out 'brasserie' can equally well (if not better) be translated into 'brewery' (indeed now that I sit down and consult my dictionary it suggests 'brewery' as the primary translation). And so it was with - perhaps unjustified - surprise I learned that Brasserie Georges served their own beer. I happily ordered first the paler one, then the amber beer. I was also quite happy to note that both beers were in fact quite good (the amber was the better one).

So, apart from learning more about a French word, I also learned that one can in fact find nice breweries in France - also in places that aren't just across the border from Belgium...

No comments: