Thursday 13 December 2007

Leek Herring

As we approach the winter solstice it's a traditional time for eating pickled herring, and in the weeks to come I'll probably show a couple of my favorite herring recipes.
We'll start off with these leek herrings, which I learned some 8 years ago when I moved into my second dorm.

Ingredients:
- 150 g (5 oz) sour cream
- 75 g (2 1/2 oz) mayonnaise
- salt & pepper [1]
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 small leek, ca. 80 g (3 oz)
- 150 g (5 oz) pieces of pickled herring [2]


The sour cream and mayonnaise were mixed with a spoon, then the salt, pepper, and crushed garlic was mixed in. The leek was cut in rings about 1/2 cm (1/5 inch) thick and rinsed well before they were added. Finally, pre-cut, pre-pickled herring was put in, mixed well with the rest and left to stand in the fridge for at least 1 night before serving on dark whole-grain rye bread. Goes well with beer and snaps.

[1] If I'd had any, I would have used white pepper.
[2] With the rest of the ingredients as listed here, certainly more herring could be added.

No comments: