Thursday 2 August 2007

Stuffed Chicken Breast

Encouraged by my luck with the stuffed pork tenderloin recently I decided to try my hand at these stuffed chicken breasts - somewhat modified from the way I saw them made previously, not least due to my memory failing me. It's not entirely implausible that my version is less authentically Italian than the one I based it off.

Ingredients:
- 2 chicken breast fillets
- 100 g (3.5 oz) roasted bell pepper
- 75 g (2.5 oz) walnut pieces
- 25 g (1 oz) grated pecorino cheese
- 2 cloves garlic
- fresh basil
- salt & pepper

Additionals:
- 1/2 cup rice
- 1 cup water
- salt

- 1/2 onion
- 1 large tomato
- dash of cream

Make a stuffing of cut roasted bell pepper, walnut pieces, mashed garlic, grated pecorino cheese, salt, pepper, and freshly cut basil. Cut pockets in the chicken breast fillets leaving about 1 cm (1/2 inch) of meat to all sides if possible, and fill the pockets with the stuffing. Close the fillets again - I used a few tooth picks, but if you have something more fancy go ahead and use that instead.
Sear in a pan for a couple of minutes on each side, then cover and leave on medium-low heat while cooking the rice. When the rice are done the chicken is done, and some juices have collected in the pan - take out the fillets, turn up the heat and add coarsely chopped onion, fry these till soft. Then add diced tomato, salt, pepper and a dash of cream. Let simmer for a few minutes.

No comments: