Sunday 12 August 2007

Nopales con Huevo

When I first arrived in California some 5 years ago and started examining the goods on offer at the local supermarkets I was quite intrigued to find jars of nopales - i.e. cactus. I quickly bought some and set about trying to incorporate them in my cooking.. unfortunately this all long time before I started this blog and I guess I didn't take notes (well, I didn't find any such around my belongings, anyway).
Having recently purchased Diana Kennedy's The Essential Cuisines of Mexico (in order to assist my growing interest in the mexican cuisine) and semi-recently discovered the fresh nopales in a local supermarket I've decided - after years of absence - to revisit the cactus with a more authentic touch.
This then happened within the frame of our Sunday tradition of having eggs for breakfast in the shape of Nopales con huevo..

Ingredients:
- oil
- 1 lb (450 g) raw nopales, cleaned and diced
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely diced
- 1 serrano chili, finely diced
- salt
- 4 eggs
- 6 tortillas

Heat the oil in a skillet, add everything except the eggs and cook over medium heat for about 25 minutes - should be kind of dry at this point.[1] Break the eggs into the mixture and stir till set. Serve on heated tortillas.

While I was quite happy with the result my muse was of the opinion that there was a little too much cactus relative to the other ingredients.

[1] The dryness is kind of important - otherwise the eggs don't set so nicely. Actually here I don't really understand Diana Kennedy's recipe: It says to cover while cooking on medium heat till the mix is dry. Covering tends to keep in the juices a little too well. I ended up covering for the first 15 minutes, then removing the cover and turning up the heat for the last 10 minutes to get them proper dry.

No comments: