Sunday 6 July 2008

Stirfried Duck

OK, I don't actually have a wok here, but I have a large non-stick pan which is sort of wok-shaped and I figured this would be a nice way to make duck and cabbage, so I thought I try to use it for this kind of a meal. The use of cow's milk is perhaps not super authentic to the Asian kitchen, but hey..

Ingredients:
- duck fillet (ca. 300 g, 2/3 lb)
- 1 medium large red onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 mild, large green pepper
- 1 scotch bonnet [1]
- 1/2 head savoy cabbage (ca. 250 g, 1/2 lb)
- olive oil
- salt
- milk

The fillet of duck was cut in thin slices and fried in the wok/pan in oil, with salt, mashed garlic, and finely cut chilli. When the meat was fully cooked the onion (in boats) and the large pepper (coarsely diced) were added and stir-fried. After a few minutes long strips of cabbage and some milk was added before covering and turning down the heat. When the cabbage was steamed to a nice texture, the whole thing was served with brown rice.

[1] These are sold as piment cloche here and as far as I can figure out they are what is also known as scotch bonnet i.e. a variety of the habanero chilli. They are quite potent and as far as my taste goes 1 of them is quite sufficient for 1 meal, which makes it all the more interesting that the store sells them in packs of 25 or so.

No comments: