Sunday 27 July 2008

Green Eggplant Stirfry


Near to my new home I've found a lovely little store called Asian Spices - all kinds of exotic goods from all over Asia are crammed into this small store and I quite like perusing their shelves. On a recent visit I noticed these little green eggplants in the fresh food section, and I decided to try them out.

Ingredients:
- oil
- 1 chicken fillet (sliced)
- salt
- 1 clove garlic (mashed)
- 1 scotch bonnet chilli
- 1 onion (boats)
- 1 mild green pepper (diced coarsely)
- 5 green eggplants (quartered)
- fish sauce
- soy sauce

Served with brown rice.

Oil was heated in a wok, and the chicken was stir-fried with salt [1] and finely chopped scotch bonnet chilli [2]. When the chicken was cooked through, the onion and the mild pepper was added and a few minutes later the green eggplants. Finally was added fish sauce and soy sauce before reducing the heat and covering to let it simmer.

The green eggplants look nice, taste a lot like eggplant, but seemed to me to hold their texture better than ordinary (large) eggplants, although this might be a function more of their size than anything else.

[1] Given the amount of soy sauce I used, I should have left out the salt.

[2] Without a hood over the cooker this is downright inadvisable - it's a bit too much like pepper spray while cooking (which correlates nicely with the fact that the end result wasn't as spicy as I expected).

No comments: