Sunday 20 January 2008

Fish & Parsnips 1

Parsnip is another tuber which..
..my parents would grow in the garden every year and use in a number of dishes
..I didn't really appreciate when I lived at home
..I recently found an urge to purchase and cook with.

In more practical terms they look like pale carrots, have a texture quite similar to the potato and taste somewhat like celery root, but sweeter and nuttier.

I decided to try this side of parsnip (recipe I found elsewhere on the internet).

Ingredients:
- 4 potatoes
- butter
- 4 parsnips
- 1/2 lemon
- 1.5 tbsp capers
- dill
- 2 fillets of fish (I used trout and catfish)
- salt

The potatoes were peeled, cut in wedges, seasoned with salt, pepper & paprika, and roasted in the oven at 200 C (400 F) for about 30 min.

The parsnips were cut in rods, as long as possible and about 1/2 cm (1/4 inch) on each side.
NB: Depending on the size of the parsnip the middle can be quite woody in texture (more likely the larger the parsnip) and this woody part is best removed. The lemon was cut in 6 slices and the parsnip and lemon was sautéed in butter for 5 minutes before adding the capers, and seasoning with dill. The pan was covered, the heat was reduced and they were left till the parsnip was tender - while frying the fillets of fish in a separate pan.

No comments: