Wednesday 25 July 2007

Zucchini Cake

I told you the zucchini plants give quite a prolific harvest - so here we go again with another use for them. This is another recipe I lifted from my mother, and ironically she has it filed as "American Zucchini Cake". This is one out of relatively few recipes that call for mixing baking soda with baking powder - all the more curious as the latter is already a mixture of baking soda and a solid acid. I guess it must be a question of getting the acidity right.

Ingredients:
- 350 g (12 oz) flour
- 200 g (7 oz) sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 75 g (3 oz) walnut pieces
- 2 dL (~ 1 cup) canola oil
- 1 tsp liquid vanilla flavour[1]
- 3 eggs
- 500 g (~ 1 lb) grated zucchini[2]

Mix the dry ingredients well, then stir in the oil, vanilla, lightly whisked eggs and grated zucchini. Pour into a baking pan and bake at 175 C (350 F) for about an hour to 1 1/2 hours depending on the size of the baking pan.

[1] My original recipe says 2 tsp vanilla sugar, but I'm currently out, so we went for this - seemed about right.
[2] If you like raisins - add some to the batter.

No comments: