Sunday 5 April 2009

Lentil Salad

Looking for new ideas to use the last bit of lentils, I turned again to google for inspiration.. and landed (again) on food network. As a bonus, the recipe also requires red wine vinegar and bay leaves - two things I have way more of than I can reasonably use before moving. I won't claim that I've really added anything to Alton's recipe here, but it's brilliant, so it bears repeating..

Ingredients:
- 225 g (1/2 lb) brown lentils
- 2 small onions, quartered
- 1 glove garlic, whole
- 2 bay leaves
- salt
- pepper
- 4 slices thinly sliced bacon, fried and chopped
- 1/2 dL (1/4 cup) red wine vinegar
- 1/4 dL (1/8 cup) olive oil
- 1 tsp grainy mustard
- 10 g (1/3 oz) fresh thyme

The rinsed lentils were placed in a pot with water, onion, garlic, salt, and bay leaves. It was brought to a boil, covered, and let simmer for half an hour. The bay leaves were picked out (but I left in the onion and the garlic as I saw little point in removing them), and drained off excess liquid. The boiled lentils were allowed to cool off a little while preparing the rest.

The vinegar, oil, mustard, pepper, and thyme was whisked together in a large bowl.
The bacon was fried, and then chopped.

At last everything was stirred together - served immediately with a big of dark bread (although it was also delicious cold after hours in the fridge).

No comments: