Friday 27 February 2009

Smoke-Beer Marinated Horse Steaks

Not that long ago I noticed this article in the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (which I read sort of randomly from time to time) and I decided I should start experimenting some more with beer marinating.

For this first time I around, I decided on horse steaks and a dark, smoky beer.

Ingredients:
- 4 horse steaks
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 10 pearl onions, quartered
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp allspice
- 5 dL (1 pint) Märzen Aecht Schlenkerla Rauchbier
to serve:
- potatoes, cubed
- sunchokes, cubed
- red cabbage salad

The marinade was made by simply stirring all the ingredients together. The horse steaks were placed in the marinade, covered and left in the fridge for 4 hours. The steaks were removed from the marinade and allowed to drip off before searing in the pan. When the steaks were done, they were removed from the pan, kept warm under a lid of foil while reducing the marinade to approximately half volume in the pan to use as sauce.


Served with pan-fried cubes of potato and sunchokes, and red cabbage salad. I was quite happy with the result. The meat was quite tender, and the marinade left a distinct touch on the taste of the meat.

No comments: