Tuesday 20 January 2009

Wädenswiler Single Malt Beer

Now, this is a very interesting Swiss beer. As you may guess, not from the end of the country where I'm living these days.

Anyway. Since whiskey is - in a very fundamental sense - distilled beer, it makes sense for a brewery to try their hands at both. So, in Wädenswil they did just that: brewed a beer with whiskey malt, bottled some of it for sale as is and distilled the rest to make whiskey.

For now, I've only tasted the beer, so I can't comment on the successfulness of their whiskey production.

The beer was very ale like to me - in taste as well as in colour. I think I expected a darker beer based on the appearance of the bottle, and I certainly expected a much smokier taste - although that might mainly betray which kinds of whiskey I personally prefer.

No comments: