Wednesday 7 January 2009

Grolsch Herfst Bok

When it comes to beer the Netherlands doesn't quite have the reputation of its two giant (beer-wise) neighbours: Germany and Belgium.

That doesn't mean to say Dutch beer is unknown around the world: although I haven't checked, I'd guess Heineken is available pretty much worldwide - and neither Amstel nor Grolsch can be that far behind. I remember all three as drinkable, if not quite memorable, lagers.

On a recent trip to Amsterdam, I had the opportunity to try Grolsch's Herfst Bok ('autumn bock'). Alone by virtue of being a bock beer it was already much more to my liking .. it's not like I'm getting a lot of bock beer here in Geneva, so it was all the more welcome for that reason too. In fact I was sad it wasn't served at more of the places I went to on that trip.

No comments: