Tuesday 14 October 2008

Appenzeller Beer

Appenzell in the north-eastern part of Switzerland, has a reputation for being a backwards, kind of rural place - most infamously how women didn't gain the right to vote until 1991. On a more positive note, the preservation of traditions and slow pace is regarded as highly instrumental for the production of their famous cheeses, chocolates, bitters and beers (not sure all of these really sets it much apart from the rest of this country). By now I've had opportunity to taste a number of their beers:


While I haven't been to Appenzell and therefore cannot really say on how the place is, I CAN say that they do make good beer. Of those pictured, I guess Quöllfrisch is my favourite (not pictured is a very nice hemp ale). Schwarzer Kristall deserves mention for being a truly black beer.

No comments: