Wednesday 28 November 2007

Jícama

When I first told one of my friends about the sunchokes, he asked me if they were anything like jícama. Shamed, I had to admit that although I had noticed jícama at the store I had never tried them and actually had no idea what they were like. He told me he had had them in salads, where they were somewhat like pears. I immediately resolved to buy one and see for myself.

I discovered that the jícama had an interesting texture, tending a little bit to fall apart in flakes. From my friend's description I guess I shouldn't be, but I was actually surprised at how sweet the taste was. In the simple salad that I made with it at first it didn't work very well.

However, balancing the sweet with something sour works quite well, and I was much happier with the result the second time around, when I cut the jícama in cubes and soaked it in a mix of freshly squeezed juice of 2 limes, 1/2 pink grape and 1/2 orange (added a little salt & pepper to taste). As I said, I liked this a lot better, but the result still isn't quite what I expect from a salad. More like a fruit salad.

No comments: