Sunday 10 November 2019

Salsa verde (v. physalis)

One of the downsides to moving to Europe after living in California is the difficulty in getting tomatillos here - which I especially need for making salsa verde. Usually they are hard to come by, and when I do them they are outrageously expensive. As it turns out I wans't the only person in Europe who was frustrated with this, so one day I picked up the tip that physalis add some of the same notes. This tip I combined the inspiration from one of my California friends who based a green salsa on grilled peppers.

Ingredients:
- 400 g carli peppers (mild Turkish pepper)
- 400 g sivri peppers (hot Turkish pepper)
- 400 g dolma pepper (mild Turkish pepper - I guess it's good for stuffing..)
- 375 g dehusked physalis
- 2 tsp salt
- juice of 2 limes
- about 1 dL of water

All the peppers are rinsed and baked at 250 degrees C. The dolma need 30 minutes while carli and sivri need only 20 minutes - all the peppers are turned over halfway through their time. The skins blacken in spots.

The physalis are baked for 30 minutes at 250 degrees C in a foil-lined oven-proof bowl.

All peppers, physalis and the juice from the physalis are transferred to a blender and added salt and lime juice. After liquidising, the total volume was adjusted to 1,2 L with water.

No comments: