Monday 16 August 2010

Serbian Stuffed Peppers (2)

As I believe I have mentioned around here recently, I suddenly find myself with better options for shopping chillies after I moved. When I saw the nice big bags of dried Anaheim and New Mexico chillies I remembered I had been told that Serbian stuffed peppers could be made using dried peppers. This excited me as I have had a hard time finding suitably hot, large chillies here in Sweden, so I decided to give it a go.

For the stuffing, I followed the old recipe (except for using a mixture of ground beef and pork). For the peppers I took a total of 12 dried Anaheim and New Mexico chillies, and let them soak in hot water for 20-30 minutes before de-seeding them. In hindsight I think it might have been easier to remove the veins before soaking them, but it wasn't too bad.

Unfortunately the chillies weren't as large as I had expected them to be after soaking. This meant that they were rather tedious to stuff, and that most of the 'stuffing' had to go in the tray not inside any peppers. For the water, I used the same water as I had soaked the chillies in (in order to add more flavour to the dish).

The chillies used had a very nice flavour - but I was quite disappointed regarding their hotness. Not nearly hot enough.

2 comments:

Andrew Lover said...

Ah yes, stuffed peppers! We had those quite frequently (with bell peppers) when I was a child. They freeze quite well, FWIW. Makes me yearn for cool weather and cozy kitchens....

t said...

Even if I made them with rice?
I sometimes stuff ordinary bell peppers, but for this dish I crave something spicy...