Thursday 18 February 2010

Green peas (in white gravy)

This is food I grew up with, and in my parents house it was simply known as 'grønærter' (literally 'green peas'), but in reality we're talking about more than just that. Peas and bits of carrot in a white gravy with parsley - to go with boiled potatoes and certain varieties of pork. Interestingly, my muse doesn't like it very much, so it went on the list of things-to-cook-while-home-alone. One of the things it is traditionally served with (and which goes well in my opinion) is the Danish speciality medisterpølse - a long, spiralling sausage which is first boiled, then fried. Sadly I haven't seen it here in Sweden, and for the moment I have no ambitions about making my own sausages - so I simply went for some nice bratwursts.

Ingredients:
- 300 g (2/3 lb) carrots, peeled and diced
- 300 g frozen peas
- 50 g (2 oz) shortening
- flour
- milk (around 5 dL = 2 cups)
- salt and pepper
- parsley, chopped

The carrot pieces were boiled in a minimal volume of water for 5 minutes before adding the frozen peas. The pot was brought back to boiling and boiled for another 5 minutes.
In a separate pot, margarine was melted, then stirred in flour (the amount which I could take with my large ladle). This paste was stirred into the carrot and peas, adding milk in portions and stirring constantly until a decent texture gravy was obtained. Chopped parsley (NOT flat-leaf parsley) was stirred, the gravy was seasoned to taste with salt and pepper.

Served with potatoes boiled in lightly salted water and a bratwurst.

No comments: