Saturday 12 September 2009

Pork Wok w/ Thai Basil

Until I saw one at the supermarket I had no idea there was such a thing as 'Thai Basil'. In hindsight it makes perfect sense, though: all those times in Asian food I had something which was almost exactly like basil, yet unmistakeably somehow ... different.
When we first got it home it looked kinda sad, but after being watered and allowed to stand in our eastbound kitchen windowsill it looked much happier. Now, weeks later, it's still going strong and I hope to have it for a while yet even though the hours of daylight here are rapidly declining.

I decided to use some leaves of it one day when I was in the mood for pork..

Ingredients:
- oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 medium-strong chilli, seeds removed
- 350 g (12 oz) thinly sliced pork chops, cut in strips
- 3 red onions, cut in boats boats
- 1 head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 1 can coconut milk
- freshly cooked rice
- roasted peanuts
- fresh leaves of Thai basil

The pork chops (which were only some 3-4 mm (1/6 inch) thick) were cut in strips about 1.25 cm (1/2 inch) wide and stir-fried with crushed garlic and finely cut chillies till browned all over. Then the onion boats were added, and a few minutes later the cabbage together with the coconut milk. When everything was warm, it was served on rice with roasted peanuts and fresh leaves of Thai basil sprinkled on top.

2 comments:

Andrew Lover said...

There are apparently three kinds of Thai basil- the kind you have, Thai Holy Basil (purple edged leaves, more licorice flavor, delicious) and Thai Lemon Basil (which I've never been able to find). Amusing thing? I can't get *any* of them in Singapore, only the normal basil. Shop keepers look at me like I am a crazy Ang Mo ('red hair").

t said...

Uhhh.. Lemon Basil .. that sounds good