Sunday 15 March 2009

Elk Steaks

When I first saw a product called 'Wapiti' at the supermarket I really didn't know what it was. I thought it might be some kind of exotic bird (mainly because it was right next to the ostrich steaks), but after consulting my dictionary I learned that 'wapiti' is simply French for 'elk'. Remembering how much I've enjoyed venison in the past, it wasn't long before I bought a couple of elk steaks.

Ingredients:
- potatoes, peeled
- elk steaks
- salt
- pepper
- handful of raw pearl onions, peeled
- ~ 1-2 dL (1/2 - 1 cup) milk
and:
- roasted green bean salad
- a little grana padano cheese, as thin flakes

While the beans were roasting in the oven, the potatoes were boiled in lightly salted water.

The elk steaks were seasoned with salt and pepper and seared in a pan. When the steaks were cooked as preferred, they were removed, the pearl onions and and the milk was added to the pan and the volume was reduced to about half.

No comments: