Sunday 27 April 2008

Cheap Swiss Beer - Chapter 1

One of the interesting differences between Europe and America is that while buying cheap beer in America is a surefire way to get some spineless I-can't-believe-how-close-to-water-this-is soapy beer devoid of character, this isn't necessarily so in Europe. Don't get me wrong, sometimes it is indeed so, but other times you'll get cheap beer that has plenty of character. The issue of course is that all these beers have interesting traits, not all of which everyone will like, but there's plenty of different brands to choose from, so if you keep looking you're likely to find some you'll like. Being new to this region there's a lot of beer for me to try, so when I located a good store, I got my first 4 - all at about 1 CHF pr. 0.5 L can. Actually, as it so happens none of these beers are actually made in Switzerland: One was brewed in France, two in Germany and one in Austria.


I have to say the Denner Export (brewed in Germany) was the most disappointing of the bunch, while the strong beer (8.8%; brewed in France) was surprisingly good - certainly one I expect myself to buy more of.

No comments: